Cooking on a Budget: College Edition
Breakfast on a Budget: College Edition
As a full-time college student, I often found myself skipping breakfast due to my tight budget and lack of free time. I experienced constant fatigue which started to affect my school days, and I wanted to know if skipping breakfast was the root of this problem.
It turns out, a study shows that those who skip breakfast are likely to have disrupted circadian rhythms. Circadian rhythm is a human's internal sleep-wake system. This would explain why I felt fatigued most days. This study also shows that skipping breakfast can cause an increased risk of cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. This is because many breakfast foods include the proper vitamins that other meals may not provide. These vitamins include folate, calcium, iron, vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin C, and Vitamin D.
After realizing the detrimental effects of skipping breakfast, I knew I had to find a solution. Therefore, I challenged myself to incorporate fresh foods into my diet with a $20 grocery budget. I wanted these ingredients to last a week's worth of breakfast meals. I also used some common ingredients that I was able to find in my college apartment. I learned that ingredients are versatile and creativity was all I needed to make this challenge work. Due to my lack of time, I also came up with recipes that would take no more than 30 minutes total of prep and cooking time.
Jump to Recipes
The Ultimate Avacado Toast | French Toast Bites | Smoothie Bowl | Omelet | Peanut Butter and Banana Roll-Ups
Grocery List
I went shopping at my local Aldi. Aldi seems to have the most affordable prices compared to other grocery stores in my area. For $22.60, I was able to get the following items:
- White sandwich bread ($1.45)
- A dozen eggs ($4.19)
- 2 Avocados ($1.60)
- 5 Bananas ($1.10)
- Cooked bacon ($3.59)
- Frozen Berries ($3.69)
- Spinach (1.99)
- Granola (2.75)
- Colby Jack cheese ($2.19)
Recipes
1. The Ultimate Avocado Toast: A piece of toast with thinly cut avocado slices followed by crispy bacon and a sunny-side-up egg.
Total Time: 20 mins
- Prep time: 5 mins
- Cook time: 15 mins
Ingredients: - 4 pieces of white bread
- 2 pieces of cooked bacon
- 1/2 an avocado
- 2 tbsp of oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- chili oil (optional)
Instructions:
- Prep time: 5 mins
- Cook time: 15 mins
- 4 pieces of white bread
- 2 pieces of cooked bacon
- 1/2 an avocado
- 2 tbsp of oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- chili oil (optional)
Instructions:
- Put a slice of white bread into the toaster/toaster oven and toast to your preference
- Cook the cooked bacon according to the cooking instructions on the packaging
- Add oil to a pan set to medium-high heat. After the oil is hot, crack an egg into the pan and let it cook for about 3-5 minutes or until all egg whites are cooked and brown, and crispy edges form (NOTE: use chili oil instead of regular oil to add spice to your dish)
- While waiting for the eggs to cook, slice half of an avocado into thin slices
- Once the egg is done cooking, salt, and pepper to taste
- Lastly, assemble the dish: toast, avocado slices, bacon, and egg
- Put a slice of white bread into the toaster/toaster oven and toast to your preference
- Cook the cooked bacon according to the cooking instructions on the packaging
- Add oil to a pan set to medium-high heat. After the oil is hot, crack an egg into the pan and let it cook for about 3-5 minutes or until all egg whites are cooked and brown, and crispy edges form (NOTE: use chili oil instead of regular oil to add spice to your dish)
- While waiting for the eggs to cook, slice half of an avocado into thin slices
- Once the egg is done cooking, salt, and pepper to taste
- Lastly, assemble the dish: toast, avocado slices, bacon, and egg
2. French Toast Bites: Crispy, sweet, cinnamon toast cut into bite-sized delights.
Total Time: 30 mins
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 20 mins
Ingredients:
- 5 pieces of white bread
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk (or water)
- Cinnamon
- Sugar
- Maple Syrup (optional)
Instructions:- Prepare the bread by cutting off all crust and cutting it into preferred bite-sized squares
- Crack an egg into a medium-sized bowl, add the milk, and then whisk
- Place the bread pieces into the bowl and gently mix until each piece is coated
- Add oil/butter to a medium-heated pan
- One by one, place an egg-coated bread piece onto the pan
- Once one side is cooked, flip each piece to the other side until it is also cooked.
- Add a 1:1 ratio of cinnamon and sugar to a bowl and mix
- Place the cooked bread into the cinnamon-sugar mixture and toss until fully coated
- Serve with maple syrup
- 5 pieces of white bread
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk (or water)
- Cinnamon
- Sugar
- Maple Syrup (optional)
Instructions:
- Prepare the bread by cutting off all crust and cutting it into preferred bite-sized squares
- Crack an egg into a medium-sized bowl, add the milk, and then whisk
- Place the bread pieces into the bowl and gently mix until each piece is coated
- Add oil/butter to a medium-heated pan
- One by one, place an egg-coated bread piece onto the pan
- Once one side is cooked, flip each piece to the other side until it is also cooked.
- Add a 1:1 ratio of cinnamon and sugar to a bowl and mix
- Place the cooked bread into the cinnamon-sugar mixture and toss until fully coated
- Serve with maple syrup
3. Berry Medley Smoothie Bowl: Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and bananas blended to create the creamiest, thickest smoothie.
- 1 cup of frozen berries of choice
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup of milk (or water)
- Granola
- 2 tbsp of honey (optional)
- Cinnamon (optional)
Instructions:
- Microwave the frozen berries for 45 seconds or until somewhat thawed but still cold
- Place the berries, half a banana, milk, and honey into a blender and blend until smooth. Add more honey for extra sweetness
- Place the smoothie into a bowl and decorate it with the other half of the banana, granola, and cinnamon
- Any other toppings of choice can be added or you can drink it as a smoothie!
4. Spinach-Bacon Omelet: Cheese, spinach, and bacon perfectly folded in a sheet of egg
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 15 mins
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 15 mins
Ingredients:
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp of milk (or water)
- 1 cup of spinach
- 3 pieces of cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheese of choice
- 1 tbsp of oil
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
Instructions:
- In a bowl, whisk together two eggs, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper until well combined
- Cook the cooked bacon according to the cooking instructions on the packaging. Once cooked, cut them into small pieces
- Heat a large pan with oil to medium-high heat
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan. Move the pan around until the egg mixture covers the entire surface area of the pan.
- Add the shredded cheese, bacon, and spinach to one half of the pan. Place a lid over the pan for 1-2 minutes
- Once the bottom layer of the egg is cooked, fold the egg in half to cover the toppings.
- Place a lid over the pan for another 2 minutes until the egg and spinach are fully cooked.
- Serve with more salt and pepper to taste
5. Banana-Peanut Butter Roll-Up: Banana and peanut butter rolled up on a toasted sheet of bread
Total Time: 25 mins
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 15 mins
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 15 mins
Ingredients:
- 3 pieces of white bread
- 1 banana
- Peanut butter (or any spread)
- Maple syrup (optional)
Instructions:
- Cut the crust off of the white bread. One by one, flatten the bread with a rolling pin
- Cut the banana into 9 thin strips
- Spread peanut butter onto each flattened piece of bread and add 3 banana strips to each piece of bread. You can add more bananas if you would like
- Tightly roll the bread with the banana and peanut butter on the inside
- Heat a large pan with oil to medium heat
- Place each roll onto the pan. Flip every 30 seconds to a different side to ensure even toasting.
- Plate with maple syrup
Results
This $20 grocery budget ended up lasting me more than a week and provided more meals than just breakfast. Most ingredients ended up being leftover which I used for other meals throughout the day. For example, I was able to make a quick grilled cheese lunch with leftover bread and cheese.
Eating home-cooked meals each morning, I felt more energetic and awake during the school day. Having to cook breakfast each morning also gave me consistency in my everyday schedule which helped with my time management issues. Overall, my results of eating breakfast every day were consistent with the study results.
Your Turn
Would you try this challenge? Do you already eat breakfast every day? Which recipe do you think you'd try? What quick and budget-friendly recipes do you normally turn to?
Sources:
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/is-breakfast-really-the-most-important-meal-of-the-day#Evidence-in-support-of-eating-breakfast




Hi Vy! I loved your blog and I feel this topic is something that appeals to many college students. Skipping breakfast seems like an easy solution to save money, sleep an extra five minutes, or avoid being late, but this can be a detriment to overall health. Including the outcomes of skipping breakfast was very effective as the facts and study that you inserted display proof of these consequences.
ReplyDeleteI thought your blog was very easy to navigate and broken down effectively. I especially liked the quick links to specific recipes and the colorful images you selected as they were very engaging. Furthermore, the vivid descriptions of the recipes such as "crispy bacon" and "bite-sized delights" made me want to read further into the recipe and learn how to make them. For me, I really enjoy making breakfast every day as it gives a good and nutritious start to my day. My favorite quick and budget-friendly meals are overnight oats or a fruit smoothie. I would love to try the french toast bites to switch up my routine, they look so yummy! Which of these recipes is your favorite?
Hey Sarah!
DeleteI'm so glad that this blog topic resonated with you and that it was engaging for you. Those word choices were intentional, so I'm glad they caught your eye.
I've never tried overnight oats before but it's a popular breakfast that I will have to try soon! My favorite recipe is "the Ultimate Avocado Toast" because it just hits all the right spots in the morning since it is composed of so many flavors. It gives me a kick of energy which I need in the morning.
Thanks for reading! Much appreciated.
Hi Vy! I thought this blog was really effective! I love your organization and being able to skip to your recipe of choice and having all of the information at your fingertips. I also loved the visuals a lot because I always want to see what it is going to look like and furthermore how I can cater what I make to have it look similar to what the model is. Everything looks so delicious! I would love to try some of these, especially the omelet and avocado toast- that has been one of my favorite breakfasts in the past. Personally I love bagels and yogurt bowls for breakfast!
ReplyDeleteHey Gevvie!
DeleteI'm glad that the "jump to recipes" links made your experience with my blog more efficient. I made sure that the visuals showed an enticing final product so readers, like yourself, would want to try them. The avocado toast is my personal favorite so let me know what you think of it if you try it out! I tend to opt for bagels in the morning as well. They're very quick and filling.
Thank you for reading!
I think this is so helpful. I really struggle with cooking and finding foods that are easier to prepare. I also think that the way you organized your post was very good as well. I can tell that you put a lot of though and effort into your blog which is awesome to see. I would try the spinach omelet for sure as I already make that for breakfast very often. I liked as well how all the meals were time affective as we are college students who are busy. Thank you and great job!
ReplyDeleteHey Ellie!
DeleteI'm happy that you liked the organization of my blog and that you found the topic useful. I also found it challenging to find easy meals to cook throughout the day, but I realized some breakfasts could only take 15 minutes to prepare. I hope this blog gave you motivation to cook breakfast. Let me know if you try any of these recipes. I would love to know what you think! Thanks for reading.
Hi Vy! Your blog post is fantastic! This topic is great to cover for college students. Today, groceries are so expensive, but your post gives us great recipes for just around $20. This is great information showing that a little can go a long way. The visuals are very appealing and make me want to try these recipes. The jump to recipes section is a great addition. Your blog is also very informative. I usually skip breakfast because of a lack of time, but learning that it could disrupt my circadian rhythm makes me want to eat breakfast more often.
ReplyDeleteTo answer your questions, I would definitely try this challenge. I love cooking and trying new recipes. I do not eat breakfast every day, but after reading this I am going to start making time for it. I love avocado toast, so I would definitely try that recipe.
Hey Alexa!
DeleteThanks for letting me know that you liked the topic of this blog and that the information was helpful to you. I added the "jump to recipes' because I know how overwhelming long blogs could be, so I'm glad you found it useful. Disruption of the circadian rhythm was also new information so I knew it was important to include it to inform others. I hope this changed your perspective on eating breakfast! Let me know if you try any of the recipes. I would love to hear what you think. Thank you for reading!
Hi Vy! I enjoyed the innovation and detail in your post. It's easy to follow and applicable to college students and young adults: the bright visuals and eye-catching bullet points make it exciting. I struggle with making a variety of healthy meals for myself, especially with breakfast and lunch. I plan to try the berry medley smoothie bowl. Usually I make microwaveable or no-cook snacks on the go, but it's easier to motivate myself to put in the effort if I'm making meals I'm excited about. Great blog post!
ReplyDeleteHey Foster!
DeleteIt's great to hear that this topic was useful for you and that I caught your attention throughout the blog! The smoothie bowl is definitely a go-to for me since its so quick and delicious. Eating microwavable breakfasts is a great alternative as a college student as it still may give you the boost of energy and nutrition in the morning. Let me know if you try any of these recipes and what you thought! Thank you so much for reading!
Hi Vy! I really enjoyed reading your blog. It was easy to navigate with the directory that you put in the beginning that brought you to the recipe that you wanted to seen. Also the pictures were nice to see what food you were talking about. I live on campus this year so I eat what ever is at the dinning hall for breakfast. However, these recipes will be supper useful for when I have to start making my own breakfast. I also like how you talked about time saving recipes because college students don't always have a ton of time in the morning.
ReplyDeleteHey Imogene!
DeleteI'm so glad that you found this blog easy to navigate and that you liked the content! Last year, I also lived in the dorms and had to eat what was available in the dining hall. I found that you could easily fit in a nutritious meal from the dining halls even if you cant cook since you live in the dorms. Maybe you can save this blog forif you live off campus in the future!
Thanks for reading!